I hope all finds you well and having a good holiday season full of eggnog and jolly.
It has been in interesting year of change and growth. VALA had a great conference with many new partnerships, updated the website, we are adding a credit card payment services thru the website and took an active role in testifying and working with legislators on changes for this past legislative season, which were:
• “Nonresidential” to “Non-Homestead,” Act 46 (H.536), Sec. 1-2
• Current Use Definitions, Act 51 (H.514) Sec. 34
• Current Use, Land Use Change Tax Liens, Act 20, (S.154)
• Definition: Homestead, Act 51 (H.514) Sec. 22 to include widow rights
• Definition: Household Income, Act 51 (H.514) Sec. 23
• Definition: Income Sensitivity Adjustment, Act 51 (H.514) Secs. 29-33
• Set Education Property Tax Rates for 2020, Act 46 (H.536), Sec. 6
• Land Gains Tax Modernization, Act 71 (H.541) Secs. 16-17
• Common Level of Appraisal Districts, Act 51 (H.514) Sec. 25-27
• Distribution of Property Tax Adjustments, Act 51 (H.514) Sec. 28, Increasing the frequency of payments to monthly
• Reappraisals, Act 51 (H.514) Sec. 24 adding an upper limit to CLA requirements
• Fee Waiver for Property Tax Appeals, Act 51 (H.514) Sec. 3
As we go forward into our new grand list and legislative year- 2020, we will continue to advocate for good assessment practices and provide great educational opportunities to our membership. We also continue to strive to education those in government and the public on the process of good assessment to promote professionalism in our assessment community.
Your VALA Presidency wishes all of you a very Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.
May you have the best year ever!